OBJECTIVE: The objective of this course is to provide a basic understanding of different Physico-chemical process relevant to Environmental Engineering. This course provides an overview of various unit operations and unit process for removal of organics pollutants, emerging contaminant and nutrients found in water and wastewater.
• The candidate at the end of the course will have a basic understanding of source of different pollutant in surface and sub-surface waters and wastewater and its treatment using Physico-chemical process.
• Understand the conventional and advanced treatment process and its designing and modification to enhance its efficiency.
• The candidate can use various unit operation and Physico-chemical process for treatment of emerging contaminant found in our environment.
Physical and chemical quality of surface and sub-surface waters and wastewater, theory and design of physicochemical unit operations, screening, grit chamber, equalization, sedimentation, floatation, coagulation, flocculation, filtration, disinfection, water softening, adsorption, ion exchange, aeration and gas transfer, membrane separation processes, reverse osmosis, electrodialysis, and desalination
1. Howard S. Peavy, Donald R. Rowe, and George Tchobanoglous “Environmental Engineering”, McGraw-Hill Book Co.
2. Metcalf and Eddy Inc, Wastewater Engineering: Treatment and Reuse, TMH publication, 4 th Edition, 2003.
3. Kawamura, S., Integrated Design and Operation of Water Treatment Facilities, John Wiley & Sons, 2000, 2 nd Ed.
1. Benjamin, M.M. and Lawler, D.F. Water Quality Engineering:Physical/chemical treatment
processes. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.2013
2. Ahluwalia, P. and Nema, A.K. Water and wastewater systems: Source, treatment,
conveyance and disposal.S.K. Kataria & Sons.1st edition.2011. Vigneswaran, S. and
3. Visvanathan, C., Water Treatment Processes: Simple Options, CRC Press, 1995.
Sl No. Particulars Marks (%)
1 Quiz-I 10
2 Mid-sem exam 30
3 Quiz-II 10
2 End-sem exam 40
4 Assignment & class performance 10